I have just started my own web log, known as a blog!
On this I intend to outline the truth of the Christian Gospel and issues that concern Evangelical Christians today.
One of the big concerns for us in this politically correct age is that of free speech. At one time a Christian could preach the truths of the Bible and, although opposition may well have come from hecklers and humanist types, the law couldn't touch him even if the views stated were offensive.
All that has changed; as this country has been getting spiritually darker so opponents of the Gospel have been using the law to try and silence us. This was apparent several years ago when the government tried to pass a law which would have made it illegal for a Christian to label Islam a false religion, and teach that Christ is the only way to God. In the providence of God the government was defeated on a House of Lord's amendment and Gospel freedom was preserved.
Now the government are trying again. Last year they passed a "gay hate" law which made it an offence to incite hatred against gays. Of course, no true Christian wants to do anything of the kind, but simply teaching that homosexuality is sinful should not be a criminal offence. Consequently, the House of Lords passed a free speech clause which, after attempts to overturn, the government accepted. Now they are trying to repeal the free speech clause. The Lord's defeated them recently but, due to their vindictiveness against Evangelicals, goverment ministers have stated that they intend again to repeal this vital legislation that protects free speech.
Incidentally, the most vocal gay rights campaigner, Peter Tatchell, has actually said that he supports free speech even going so far as to speak up for a Christian's right to disagree with homosexuality - let's give him credit for that.
Anyway, we must pray that this latest attempt by a spiritually bankrupt, and corrupt government to silence free speech will be defeated - watch this space.
Friday, 21 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Excellent post, free speech is indeed, under threat.
ReplyDeleteGood work, Bob. I'm glad you were able to start a blog. I just want to encourage you to keep it up, regardless of what attacks may come your way. And rest assured, when the atheists who hate you find out you have a blog, they will attack, but don't stop. We have God on our side, which means we win!
ReplyDeleteAnd also, keep up with the blog. I've found a few strong Christian blogs, but they only post about once a month. Keep the good content coming, and this blog will do great.
Many thanks, Tom, for your kind comments. In these days of darkness in which we live it is good for us to encourage one another.
ReplyDeleteYou may notice that on my comments I have put on a facility that means all comments are pre-moderated. This is because once our atheist "friends" find it they will, no doubt, put on abusive comments and even profanity.
I am happy to allow non-Christians to comment providing they are respectful.
Kind regards, and keep up your good work, Jesus gives us the victory!
Bob
Truely.
ReplyDeleteWe
Are in for a
Treat.
!
Well, I guess I can be the first of the "godless atheists" to comment!
ReplyDeleteYou guys keep right on praying, and we will keep right on working to eradicate your hateful and discriminatory ways from public life.
I think that everyone has the right to believe whatever they want in the privacy of their homes and churches, as long as that is where it ends. Religion has no place in public life or schools, or laws, or policies of the government.
If you think religion and politics are a good mix, take a good hard look at Iran, and Afghanistan. I know that is the work of Allah, but it doesn't exactly look like life is good there.
Welcome to the blogosphere, Mr. Believer.
As an American I've been surprised and disturbed to see how poor the protections of free speech are in many other countries. As an atheist and humanist I hold many of the opinions held by Christians in utter contempt but find efforts to curtail the right to express one's opinions, no matter how objectionable, utterly contemptible as well.
ReplyDeleteDid you see Freethinker's article ripping you?
ReplyDeleteI still haven't figured out what you win?
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for your comments, please keep them coming. I am pleased that atheists/unbelievers wish to place comments, however, any that have profanity will not be allowed.
ReplyDeleteRex: I have no problems with a seperation of Church and State but do believe in the right of free speech. Tell me - do you object to the legal right of Christians to take the Gospel into the streets?
David Ellis: I appreciate your support for free speech. A frank exchange of views is healthy in a democracy.
Tom: I did see the "Freethinker" article and, in one sense, I rejoice that the Gospel is provoking a response. However, I have been praying for Barry Duke for some time as he is filled with hatred - clearly he needs Jesus in his life.
Delilah: Please explain what you mean by "win" and I'll be happy to respond to your comments.
Why should a Christian fight against the natural world? Why should a Christian fight against a class of people on the basis of natural traits? I wish Christians and others would move their minds out of the bronze age. Most Christians no longer accept slavery even though it is condoned in their bronze age book. Most Christians have grown beyond
ReplyDeletethe believe that women must be shunned during their menstrual cycle. That is against the teaching of their book. In one subject after another Christian's ignore the bible's "laws". That is too their credit. Christian hate, and it is hate, for homosexuals only makes sense after reading a book of ancient fairy tales collected in to book form the bronze age. In what other light is this possible?
Many thanks for your comment, let me answer your main point. The Old Testament contains many laws that were no longer applicable under the age of grace in the New Testament. For example in the OT people were to be stoned to death for adultery, yet in the NT Jesus forgave the adulteress while not condoning what she did - that is grace (see John 8 verses 1-11). The same applies to Homosexuality, in the OT they were to be put to death, in the NT what they are doing is still classed as sin but, instead of killing them Christians are to pray for their conversion. It is important to read the OT law in the light of NT grace.
ReplyDeleteHope this is helpful.
Well said, Bob. Too many atheists want to criticize the Bible without ever making an attempt to understand it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting blog, but can you define "truth"? Is it fact, or is it something a little more hard to grasp? If it's fact, how can you square inconsistencies among the four Gospels? If it's a higher truth, how do you know it's true? Just asking. I'm all for enquiry.
ReplyDeleteReply to Andy Armitage: Thanks for your thoughtful question. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth....." (in John 14 v 6). Jesus is the truth. This may sound arrogant but, as Christians, we know we have the truth because Jesus is the truth and the Bible is true. Truth, of course, deals in facts - not theories.
ReplyDeleteYou mention "inconsistencies"; can you point to any?
Kind regards
Bob
Bob
ReplyDeleteFirst I will like to thank God for this blog that you have began. My prayer is that God will show many people the way that their spiritual eyes may be open. I have to accept that this Country used to be able to preach the gospel without much opposition. I believe though that this freedom has been by God's grace and not because of any other special reason. Let me explain this in the next few lines.
Jesus Christ said in Matthew chapter 5 verses 10 - 11
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Here Jesus is pronouncing blessings on those who are persecuted for righteousness (being a follower of Jesus Christ) sake. The emphasis is the phrase "when you are persecuted for righteousness sake". This implies that as Christians, we will be persecuted.
Further, He says that we should rejoice and be exceedingly glad. Now, this is one reaction that I still await from Christians from the West. For the time being, I am yet to experience Christians in the West rejoicing of persecution. This is different to what I saw when I visited China in 2002.
The reason for our rejoicing can be found in the next part of the verse "for great is your reward in heaven". Heaven is the object of our joy. We will receive great rewards in heaven.
There are many other parts of the new testament that promises persecution for Christians. Another scripture that I will like to refer to is John 15 verses "18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also."
Again Jesus Christ makes it very clear that we will be hated as Christians, because the world hated Him first. In fact, if the world (unbelievers) love us, then we do not really belong to him.
In Acts chapter 5 verse 40 - 41 40 And they agreed with him, and when they had called for the apostles and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. 41 So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His[d] name
The Apostles' reaction to being beaten is to rejoice that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for Jesus' name. Beaten here must be looked in the context of the Roman way of flogging, with many wounds on their backs.
My encouragement to you all is that if we are hated in this country, it means that we are doing the right thing as far as Jesus is concerned.
Ademola: Many thanks for your post. It may be that the Lord permits us to suffer persecution in order to purify us and prepare the way for revival. One thing I know - we can't take free speech for granted like we used to be able to.
ReplyDeleteKind regards
Bob
"Facts"..."theories". You "thinkers" really do not have a clue about critical thinking...or even the definition of words. Just make stuff up as you go along or use the incorrect urban definitions as they suit you.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment, all feedback is appreciated. However, it is incorrect to say that we "do not have clue about critical thinking"; a careful study of the Bible will show that it is free from error - be it historical, archeological, or theological.
ReplyDeleteOh really. Error free? So who was Jospeh's father? Heli or Jacob?
ReplyDeleteI suspect you'll find one of the usual non-scriptual rationalizations; but what's your scriptiual evidence?
Good question, Mintz.
ReplyDeleteLook up "www.lookinguntojesus.net". this will give you their home page. Over on the right you will see an internal search engine. Type in "Who was JOseph's father" and click on search button. This will give you the answer.
A different rationalization to the usual one which is that Heli was jospeh's brother. But again ...
ReplyDeletewhat's you're scriptual evidence?
BTW Why can't I copy/paste here? Its really anoying.
As the Bible is infallible we know that there has to be an answer to your question. The Bible has NO mistakes, it is without error.
ReplyDeleteAs for copy and pasting, as this is just a general comments page you don't need that facility anyway.
A note to one calling himself "Remigius":
ReplyDeleteI have rejected the comment you attempted to place on this blog yesterday because it contained profanity. You know the rules; I will allow critical comments but NOT profanity!
There is no god. It is a myth. Jesus was a practising homosexual.
ReplyDelete